Saturday, November 6, 2010

It's Like I'm Not in Toronto

High Park

A sunny but cold day, my cousins and I trekked places in Toronto that make you think you're not in Toronto. First stop, High Park - the largest park in Toronto. People say it's like the Toronto equivalent of New York's Central Park. It was a nice walk around the park with the crisp, cold air and scent of leaves flowing around. There were PILES and PILES of leaves that were calling my name to jump in and join the fun... but I resisted. Maybe next time. We saw a residential area behind the park with houses that had windows galore. What a wonderful place that would be live...to wake up and see the wonders of nature amidst the congestion of the metropolitan.

The Distillery District

The quaintest little area filled with historic ventures. There were plenty of little shops, boutiques, furniture stores, and galleries. The picture on the right was from a little art gallery called CubeWorks. All the art is made of rubics cubes! Isn't that crazy?? They also featured an artist, whom I forgot their name, but they had the most amazing metal 3-D netted half sculpture of a women's body...and when there's a shadow casted, it's like a whole other piece of art. That's definitely something I could stare at for an hour. OH! And when you get close to Balzac's Coffee Roasters, you'll know it. The whiff of roasted coffee beans will engulf your sensory palettes and bring a seeping flow of aroma into your nose and extend into the very tips of your blood flow. I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I love the smell. When you walk in, it's like a modern, huge barn. With artwork everywhere, and scaleable decor, it definitely brings an atmosphere I've never felt before. I think they even have the hot drinks with steamed milk that they make shapes out of the foam! Love. A great place to have a date or to socialize in a group.

For dinner, we went to Greens Vegetarian Restaurant. This was my first vegetarian meal ever! On the menu, it said things like "mock beef, mock duck...". My cousin's husband joked around with me all night saying I wasn't going to get any meat. It's lucky I'm alright with tofu and bean curd...because I think that was basically it. They just made them look like/taste (not quite) the meat. The place was very clean, and the food tasted very clean beside the massive amount of oil that outdoor Chinese food has. I'd say 3.5 out of 5. Haha.

Yay to an extra hour in life. Just for today.

1 comment: